EMPHNET is announcing the launch of the next webinar in its WEBi Series titled “Monkeypox and its Implication on Global Health Security.” The webinar will be held on Tuesday, August 9, 2022 from 17:00 to 18:30 Jordan Local Time (UTC+3).
Monkeypox is a viral zoonotic disease caused by infection with monkeypox virus that occurs primarily in tropical rainforest areas of Central and West Africa and is occasionally exported to other regions. The virus belongs to the Orthopoxvirus genus in the family Poxviridae. Despite not having been documented, there is a potential risk of spillback to susceptible animals. Therefore, collaboration between public health and veterinary authorities is important when managing the potential risk of human to animal transmission. This will help to prevent the disease from being transmitted from humans to susceptible animals at home, in zoos and wildlife reserves, and to peri-domestic animals, especially rodents. This webinar brings together a panel of experts to discuss the implication of Monekeypox on Global Health Security.
The webinar session will focus on:
• Raising awareness about Monkeypox, its symptoms, and methods of transmission.
• Exchanging knowledge, best practices, and lessons learned from global, regional, and country multisectoral coordination in preparing and responding to public health emergencies and threats.
• Discussing the implications of the spread of Monkeypox on global health security.
• Identifying actions that could be taken to mitigate the spread of Monkeypox.
Participating experts include:
• Dr. Ekhlas Hialat, Public Health Specialist, Disease Control and Prevention GHD|EMPHNET
• Dr. Ziad El Khatib, Associate Professor in Global Health at Karolinska Institute.
• Dr. Khwaja Mir Islam Saeed, MD (KMU) MSc (AKU), FETP Alumni, FETP Technical Advisor
The session will be moderated by Dr. Ghassan M. Matar, MSc, PhD, Professor & Chairperson Department of Experimental Pathology, Immunology & Microbiology Director WHO CC for Reference & Research on Bacterial Pathogens Associate Director & Lab Director CIDR.
We look forward to having you join us, and we invite you to share this invitation within your respective networks.
Please see the promotional video here.